Sunday, September 02, 2012

Brian and I were fortunate enough to sneak away this weekend...ALONE. We have a fondness for waterfalls, as you may have noticed from wedding pictures. But, this time of year, our beloved Yosemite Falls all but dry up. So, I planned a trip to visit a waterfall that doesn't dry up. Burney Falls is spring fed and flows at the same level year round. Here are pictures from our adventure today.

This was our first view of the falls. The park entrance and parking lot is nearly level with the top of the falls. So, our first view was looking across and down at the falls. Beautiful perspective.
 This explains how the water is attained and maintained to keep the falls flowing year round. Some of the water spills over from Burney Creek at the top, some spill right out of the rock about half way down the wall.
 In this photo you can really see the line where the water comes out half way down, the two main falls are pouring over the top.
 We decided to hike down to bottom of the falls. It was beautiful from this angle too.
 See, we really were here :-)
 Then we crossed the river (Burney Creek, I think) and hiked up the other side to see the fall from the top, behind the fall.
 We hiked up...and up
 Then we decided it was time for lunch.
 This was the view from our lunch spot. The black arrow shows where the first photo was taken. The white arrow is about halfway down to the pool at the bottom.
 Crossing back over the river, looking toward the falls. This water has no idea what it's in for. This is a prettier view than the other waterfall I climbed to the top of.
 Because I love signs
 

Then we did some letterboxing. We found 4 out 5 we looked for today, not bad. I will post more about that soon. I have a few more to look for tomorrow before heading back home. Awesome 3 day weekend. I think we need more of them :-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an informative topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy. I think it may be help all of you.http://www.iessaywriting.net/
Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty blog with me. I am appreciating it very much! Looking forward to another great blog. Good luck to the author! all the best!))