Monday, February 04, 2008

A little about Jacob, aka Boo. I haven't posted much about the kids. I've been a bit consumed with "the house." But, Jacob had a pretty awesome month of January, so I thought it was time to share a little about him. I keep telling myself that I need to write all of this in his journal, but I haven't got to it yet. So, by sharing it here, I am also saving the details that I want to remember to write down, when I have time to sit down and write.

Jacob was to start a new series of appointments with his occupational therapist (OT) in January. He had been re-evaluated in August and his sessions were cut from weekly, for the past two years, to bi-weekly. This was an excellent sign of progress. But, when we went in January, I asked Miss Dawn if we could do a brief eval, because I felt that he had improved so much since Aug that I wasn't sure he really needed to being having OT anymore. She agreed to do this and sure enough he tested within normal range for all of his motor skills. He even wrote for her, "Mrs. Dawn is the best OT." in his best handwriting. She said to him, "who are you and what have you done with my Jacob?" She asked him to write his name. We have worked so hard on fine motor skills and handwriting. Instead of just writing Jacob for her, he wrote Jacob Wesly (last name). His middle name is Wesley, funny that you never think to teach them how to spell their middle name. His final test was moving of the "spider web." She asked him to climb across the web, go around the side and come back across, three times. He said, "I'll do it five times." He was so proud of himself already. Well, he did it FIVE times. Miss Dawn said she's never seen anyone do more than three. Maybe she was just boosting Jacob's ego; which really didn't need it. All that being said, Jacob "graduated" from OT that day. YAY for him. He is doing great! Yay for me, because that is one less thing that I have in my schedule! He was floating on air that day and so proud of himself.

Then the icing on the cake... He was chosen as student of the month for January. He has been frustrated the last couple of months that he was not chosen. He is totally his mother's child in this regard. But, he was chosen for the character pilar of "fairness." They had a lunch assembly, where the kids got to have lunch with the principle, provided by Wendy's. Brian took an early lunch and we both went to have lunch with him.
He got a medal that says student of the month and his teacher wrote a nice letter about him that the principle read. It said he was fair, he waits his turn and shares with his classmates. He always raises his hand and waits to be called on. We are so proud of him.Way to go Jacob! Mrs. D. reading the note Jacob's teacher wrote about him, and the other Mrs. D., the vice principal.

No comments: